My Mother of all MiFi wishlist:
- Runs for 4 ~ 5 hours on rechargable batteries. Preferably 4xAA NiMh cells which I have in abundance.
- WPA encryption if possible otherwise pre-auth by mac address or live auth via authpf.
- Automatically connects to my lan using certificate based IPSec.
- Provides DNS locally.
- Gui configuration but can be a python TkInter of X11 Gui.
- 802.11b/g although given my experience last week 802.11n over 5GHz would be nice.
- SNMP configuration? That’s why I got an enterprise number from IETF.
- Put the Soekris Net4511 on my Kill-a-watt meter to see how much juice it really needs (and how efficient the power supply is.)
- Figure out how to get USB into the thing. The outside internet will be a Verizon or Sprint network dongle.
- Get a case and power supply for the 4511
- Will OpenBSD provide WPA2 authentication?
- How hard is it going to be to get a USB jack into a 4511 case? (Bill Johnson?)
- How many people can I connect to it before it’s overloaded?
- 4521 Case? Automatically has room for batteries.